A series of recent missile strikes by Russia against Ukrainian cities, including Lviv, the western city that has been housing a large number of the internally displaced Ukrainians, has increased the likelihood of a new wave of Ukrainian refugees. But other factors - including potential energy disruptions in Ukraine this winter and in food and fertilizer exports leading to famine in Africa - are also expected to impact the number of migrants from Ukraine and Africa.
These and other issues were addressed in a panel discussion, sponsored jointly by the Center for Immigration Studies and the Hungarian Migration Research Institute. Experts from the United States and Europe examined the refugee and internally displaced person (IDP) challenges produced by the war and faced by Ukraine, Europe, Africa, and the United States.
Mark Krikorian, the Center’s executive director and host of Parsing Immigration Policy, moderates this rebroadcast of the Center's recent panel.
Mark Krikorian is the Executive Director of the Center for Immigration Studies.
Nayla Rush is a Senior Researcher at the Center for Immigration Studies.
Viktor Marsai is the Director of the Migration Research Institute.
Kristof Gyorgy Veres, is the Andrássy National Security Fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies.
Monika Palotai is a Visiting Research Fellow at the Hudson Institute.
Report: Ukrainian Refugees: Onward Migration and New Flows Are Likely
Kristof Gyorgy Veres Presentation
Follow Parsing Immigration Policy on Ricochet, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts.
Voices in the opening montage:
- Sen. Barack Obama at a 2005 press conference.
- Sen. John McCain in a 2010 election ad.
- President Lyndon Johnson, upon signing the 1965 Immigration Act.
- Booker T. Washington, reading in 1908 from his 1895 Atlanta Exposition speech.
- Laraine Newman as a "Conehead" on SNL in 1977.
- Hillary Clinton in a 2003 radio interview.
- Cesar Chavez in a 1974 interview.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaking to reporters in 2019.
- Prof. George Borjas in a 2016 C-SPAN appearance.
- Sen. Jeff Sessions in 2008 comments on the Senate floor.
- Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes".